Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The perils of cloud computing, Photobucket edition.

Can you see the image above? Me neither...

It's because said image has been embedded into many different pages and viewed some 39,623 times in the past thirty days, putting me an astonishing 7.5GB over the the 10GB of bandwidth per month that I get with my free Photobucket account.

Thing is...

  1. The image itself is less than 40KB in size;
  2. It's not even mine -- merely a cropped image from a 4chan meme.

I only wish to remind you all that there's no such thing as a free ride on these internets -- for more on that I'll direct you to Jason Scott's excellent essay entitled: "FUCK THE CLOUD".

Oh, and if you're reading this on after August 21st, 2009 my Photobucket bandwitdth will have been reset, and you should see the image at the top of this post.

Posted via web from Andrew Currie on Posterous